You've probably seen floral wallpaper in a lot of different places. You've probably never given it much thought before, whether it be in antiquated hotel toilets or the dining room of your grandmother's house. Yet these cutting-edge wallpaper patterns will make you forget everything you ever thought you knew about this retro-inspired style, including the fact that it's been around for decades.
Watercolour and pastel floral wallpaper, as well as wallpaper with bold graphics and colours, are all back in style. Also, you may bring a garden indoors even if you don't have a green thumb, or change the look of a space in only a few hours.
There was a time when wallpaper was associated with shabby, old houses. It was linked to grandmother-approved eccentric designs or oversized flower prints in the Victorian era. Yet, that is beginning to alter. Wallpaper can be used today that is contemporary, updated, and sleek.
Wallpaper's versatility is best demonstrated by the wide variety of designs available. That even in ultra-modern settings, there is a design option that can be implemented successfully is clear. Depending on your taste, wallpaper can be understated or striking. See some examples of how to incorporate contemporary wallpaper designs into your home below. O
Floral Is In
Designers from Cynthia Rowley to Ted Baker have all been moved by flowers, but there's little use in wearing them when you can use them to clean your clothing instead. If you want to add some colour to a small space, the laundry room is the place to do it. There are no other design elements in this space to steal the spotlight from the dark and romantic flower wallpaper by Sarah Sherman Samuel.
Your dining room may appear to be an obvious choice for flowery wallpaper, but Katie Ridder's cherry blossom print puts a playful and modern take on the weary old classic. The way the designer incorporates the wallpaper's yellow and pink hues into the area is really impressive. There's no better place to showcase your flair for the dramatic than in your dining area, where a bold floral accent wall will stand out without being overwhelming.
The flowers on a floral print aren't required to be flowers. An stunning flowery animal design decorates the walls of this kid's room, setting the tone for the rest of the room's brilliant blue furnishings, including the bed and bookshelves. A room with such vivid wallpaper seems finished and ready for use in an instant, and is also immediately kid-friendly.
This sweet and girly option is ideal for those who want to use flowery wallpaper in a child's room but aren't fans of bold patterns or colours. Any self-respecting flower child would feel right at home in this space, since the bold roses are enough to break up the white walls.
Maybe you've dabbled in flowers before and feel like you're ready for something more advanced. This large, romantic, and ominous print will set the tone without taking over the room. In order to draw attention to the mural-like wallpaper, it is best to keep the furniture and accessories to a minimum. The bedroom will feel more tranquil with this darker option.
If you've ever wished you could paint a stunning mural on your walls, this wallpaper is the one for you. If you lack the creative skills necessary to convert your living room into a masterpiece, though, this panelled wallpaper from Etsy can do the trick.
This wallpaper, reminiscent of ink drawings, is ideal if you prefer a minimalist aesthetic. Straight lines and graphic design are at home in a minimalist space.
Instead of flowers, some folks would rather have a lovely succulent or peaceful eucalyptus plant. Nonetheless, this wallpaper depicting a tropical rainforest is a fantastic way to bring nature inside. The soothing green tones of this print are perfect for a Scandinavian-style bedroom, but they would also make a nice addition to a living room or bathroom.
While geometric patterns are popular at the moment, this detailed wallpaper pattern is a lovely alternative if you're more of a naturalist than a mathematician. The symmetric, repeating design is ideal for a nursery or an entryway, and it will appeal to any perfectionists.
These days, it's all about the moody, dark prints. We've seen how this dark and sensual option can transform a bedroom into a royal suite; don't be afraid to use it in your dining area, too. This gothic print will stand out more if the rest of the room is kept basic and neutral, such as with wooden tables and jute carpets.
If you're looking for a simple area to introduce wallpaper into your house, the entryway or mudroom is a fantastic place to start. Greeting cards like your grandma used to send have nothing on this Rifle Paper design. This stylish wallpaper is a perfect complement to your collection of mid-century pieces.
A Luscious Rainforest
The tropical rainforests of South America are a dream destination for many people. You don't even have to get out of bed to experience its opulence; Sian Zeng's sumptuous wallpaper will do the trick. Neon accents look fantastic next to the more muted olive and hunter green tones. Use calming pastels or neutral beige tones with this.
East Coast Chic
When it comes to wall decor, bathrooms and powder rooms typically come up short. For most impact with minimum effort, choose a graphic wallpaper in this compact room. This vintage pattern in black and white complements the subway tiles, creating the atmosphere of a "chic East Coast inn" in the bathroom. It's cool with us.
Go Big Or Go Home
If you're afraid of colour, you shouldn't worry about this because monochrome florals may sometimes be the most striking. The light wood flooring look great against the wallpaper's huge flowers, which feature precise painting and crisp lines. We assure you, you won't even notice the lack of colour.
It's Simple To Be Green
The colour green is making a comeback in a big manner. If you're into tropical prints, give this sophisticated take on a jungle pattern a try. We adore how seriously the room takes its green colour scheme; the lush velvet blanket and geometric pattern pillow both elegantly and naturally incorporate the area's primary motif of newly cut flowers.
Life Is Rosy
You probably picture a rose when you think of a flower. Fawn Over Baby gives a modern update to a traditional nursery theme with this design. The print's combination of roses and poppies in pastel tones is just lovely. This is the perfect wallpaper if you want to convey a sense of gentle femininity.
You may have heard that for good feng shui, it's best to paint a space with a light colour and decorate with bright, cheerful artwork. We disagree; this space is stunning and has just the right amount of gritty charm. In the nicest way, the dark, traditional white and blue flowers soften the edges of the industrial furniture and transport us to a farmhouse in the fields of Provence.
Pretty In Pink
If you want to bring some life to a dull foyer or hallway, this is the spot to do it. This traditional wallpaper design is a nod to flower patterns of yesteryear, but it has been given a contemporary twist. This style is perfect for country-style kitchens or elegant dining rooms that might use a hint of colour.
The Pantone colour of the year for 2016 is called Greenery, and the banana leaf is at the forefront of this year's iteration of the trending, verdant tone. We find the contrast of the dark clawfoot tub and the lush green walls in this bathroom to be a thing of beauty. Banana leaf is great because it can be used in practically any interior setting.
A Work Of Art
This wallpaper is a work of art, perfect if you'd rather be at the Louvre than at home. The museum-quality floral pattern works nicely with contemporary, muted colour palettes in the home. Mustard yellow, purple, and white are some of the accessories that would complement the subdued colour scheme.
Crazy For Succulents
Succulents are excellent houseplants because they are so difficult to kill. This wallpaper is perfect for you if you want to take your love of succulents to the next level. This highly detailed wallpaper of succulents screams "look at me" to every guest in your home, making it a great option for a staircase as pictured, or for a downstairs powder room that needs a kick.
Upgraded, Elegant Cherry Blossoms
Cherry blossoms are only in bloom for a short period of time each year, but with this sophisticated wallpaper designed by Alexandra Apostu, you may have them in your home throughout the entire year. This sophisticated style is a great way to inject some life into a classic space.
A Laundry Room You'll Love
No one says you have to have a boring laundry room. The floral and elephant leaf print brightens up this laundry area beautifully. The addition of even a few shelves and decorative items may transform a laundry room from an afterthought to a functional part of the house. You don't have to do laundry in a boring room just because you have to do laundry.
This lemur print is a great way to experiment with florals without going overboard. The funny twist on floral wallpaper is sure to get your guests talking, so handsome in the kitchen or living room and prepared to be the centre of attention. It goes perfectly with the country-style decor of the kitchen.
This wallpaper is not for those who are easily dazzled; its vivid colours and design are not for the faint of heart. We're confident that you'll feel an instant surge of joy every time you enter your room if you paint it in dazzling oranges and reds and furnish it with equally vibrant pieces.
Modern fashion also occasionally makes use of oversized floral designs. The following picture demonstrates how a large-scale floral wallpaper was maintained in this otherwise contemporary and bright room. The flowery pattern serves as a decorative element without overwhelming the room.
The use of light colours can make even the most basic of rooms appear fresh and contemporary. Also, they help provide the impression of more room than there actually is. If this is the vibe you're going for, any wallpaper pattern with a lot of white space will do. There are several options available, including floral patterns, geometric patterns, and plain, light-coloured backgrounds.
Wallpaper gets a bad rap because it's what people use when they want a bold pattern on the walls but don't want to paint it themselves. Wallpaper is available in a wide variety of styles, including more subdued patterns. Neutral colours are great choices for a modern look in wallpaper.
The use of neutral colours is essential in many contemporary homes since it ensures that the decor will still look fresh next year. The use of neutral colours is classic. The photo above demonstrates how texturized wallpaper can be used to add dimension to an otherwise flat white space.
Employ Colours That Are Deep And Subdued.
Using a colour that is really saturated is another option for contemporary wallpaper. Wallpaper is a terrific way to add a touch of subtle texture to these colours, as shown in the preceding image. The vivid royal blue of oriental art enhances this transitional room. A throw pillow in a rich royal blue provides a pop of colour.
In the meantime, a lighter blue sofa complements the wall without overwhelming it, giving this an excellent illustration of how to use wallpaper to enhance an existing colour scheme. Wallpaper's adaptability means you may easily find a pattern and colour that suit your needs. Until numerous layers of paint are applied, the underlying colour will typically be visible through the new one.
Utilise Art Prints In Black And White.
One such look that screams "modern" is one that makes heavy use of black and white neutrals. Black and white offer the maximum contrast, which is why it is often used in modern design. Get a chic, contemporary vibe by adorning your walls with a black-and-white design wallpaper. An example of a contemporary wallpaper design is the black-and-white tree pattern shown above.
The room is brought together by the black and white bedding and dressers. The trees' black-and-white design, as opposed to a coloured naturalistic manner that may give the room a country aesthetic, makes them look slightly abstract and creative. We are curious as to what some of your favourite contemporary wallpaper designs are.
Fall For Florals
Florals, once considered fussy and outmoded, are now again centre stage and on our walls, this time more popular than ever in living rooms around the country.
If you're working with a print that's quite busy like this one, it can be helpful to isolate a single colour and use variations of that hue throughout the space, both in small details and in the major furniture pieces.
Combine Turquoise With Teak.
Your living room could use a splash of colour if it is predominantly wooden, from sideboards and dressers to coffee and side tables and possibly even a hardwood floor. The room will come to life with the addition of this vibrant turquoise wallpaper.
This incredible wallpaper would look stunning hiding a sophisticated sideboard in its fun yet savvy design. Well selected complementary accents help pull the room together visually.
Try Using Modern Wallpaper In Artistic And Funky Styles.
You don't have to stay away from wallpaper patterns altogether, as the aforementioned contemporary wallpaper design demonstrates. You are still free to take whatever risks you like. To achieve a modern look, you could try the design in the featured image. With the right mix of modern art and your daring wallpaper, you can create a lively, creative atmosphere.
While contrasting textures are currently a significant trend in interior design, the smooth, airy ceiling and natural wood floor give the room an even more contemporary feel. The red dresser, with its simple lines and sleek hardware, is another strong and modern touch in this room. In today's interiors, it's all the rage to choose a vibrant accent colour.
Flower wallpaper is reviving. Floral wallpaper can transform a space in hours, from watercolours to bold. Floral wallpaper's adaptability and elegance have influenced designers from Cynthia Rowley to Ted Baker. Katie Ridder's cherry blossom wallpaper and Sarah Sherman Samuel's dark and passionate floral wallpaper are modern. This charming flowery animal design shows that floral patterns don't need flowers.
Sian Zeng's beautiful wallpaper would bring South America's wild woodlands to life and show your mid-century style. Neon accents enhance olive and dark green blossoms. Fawn Over Baby reimagines the nursery with pastel flowers and poppies. Light paint and nice art are wonderful feng shui. Its style suits rustic kitchens and formal dining rooms.
Living spaces now feature fussy, outmoded florals. The best-designed rooms repeat a primary colour in accents and large furniture. Wood flooring and an open ceiling make the area look futuristic. The red dresser has sleek lines and exquisite hardware.
- You've probably seen floral wallpaper in a lot of different places.
- Yet these cutting-edge wallpaper patterns will make you forget everything you ever thought you knew about this retro-inspired style, including the fact that it's been around for decades.
- Watercolour, pastel floral wallpaper and wallpaper with bold graphics and colours are all back in style.
- Wallpaper can be used today that is contemporary, updated, and sleek.
- The wide variety of designs available best demonstrates wallpaper's versatility.
- Depending on your taste, wallpaper can be understated or striking.
- See some examples of incorporating contemporary wallpaper designs into your home below.
- If you want to add colour to a small space, the laundry room is the place to do it.
- This sweet and girly option is ideal for those who want to use flowery wallpaper in a child's room but prefer to avoid bold patterns or colours.
- It is best to keep the furniture and accessories to a minimum to draw attention to the mural-like wallpaper.
- Straight lines and graphic design are at home in a minimalist space.
- This stylish wallpaper is a perfect complement to your collection of mid-century pieces.
- The tropical rainforests of South America are a dream destination for many people.
- You don't have to leave the bed to experience its luxury; Sian Zeng's sumptuous wallpaper will do the trick.
- Use calming pastels or neutral beige tones with this.
- Choose a graphic wallpaper in this compact room for the most impact with minimum effort.
- This vintage pattern in black and white complement the subway tiles, creating the atmosphere of a "chic East Coast inn" in the bathroom.
- Fawn Over Baby gives a modern update to a traditional nursery theme with this design.
- This is the perfect wallpaper to convey a sense of gentle femininity.
- You may have heard that for good feng shui, it's best to paint a space with a light colour and decorate it with bright, cheerful artwork.
- The Pantone colour of 2016 is called Greenery, and the banana leaf is at the forefront of this year's iteration of the trending green tone.
- This wallpaper is a work of art, perfect if you'd rather be at the Louvre than at home.
- Cherry blossoms are only in bloom for a short period of time each year. Still, with this sophisticated wallpaper designed by Alexandra Apostu, you may have them in your home throughout the year.
- The floral and elephant leaf print brightens up this laundry area beautifully.
- The funny twist on floral wallpaper will surely get your guests talking, so handsome in the kitchen or living room and prepared to be the centre of attention.
- It goes perfectly with the country-style decor of the kitchen.
- This wallpaper is not for those who are easily dazzled; its vivid colours and design are not for the faint of heart.
- The use of light colours can make even the most basic of rooms appear fresh and contemporary.
- If this is the vibe you're going for, any wallpaper pattern with much white space will do.
- Several options include floral patterns, geometric patterns, and plain, light-coloured backgrounds.
- Wallpaper is available in a wide variety of styles, including more subdued patterns.
- Neutral colours are great choices for a modern look in wallpaper.
- Using a colour that is saturated is another option for contemporary wallpaper.
- An example of a contemporary wallpaper design is the black-and-white tree pattern.
- The room is brought together by the black and white bedding and dressers.
- We are curious about some of your favourite contemporary wallpaper designs.
- The room will come to life with this vibrant turquoise wallpaper.
- Well-selected complementary accents help pull the room together visually.
- To achieve a modern look, try the design in the featured image.
- You can create a lively, creative atmosphere with the right mix of modern art and your daring wallpaper.
FAQs About Home Builders
- Add depth through texture. Add depth through texture.
- Be bold with florals. Bold floral prints can bring a room to life
- Flirt with darker florals. Flirt with darker florals.
- Please keep it simple. Keep your floral print simple.
Factor in an abundance of florals. Floral room decor is big news for 2022 interiors and can be adapted to suit any vintage, retro or contemporary space. These new season designs have upped the style stakes and make it easy to work beautiful flowers into your décor
Consider how the room is used and how often when choosing wallpaper patterns. Choose a Suitable Style For a formal look, choose large-scale patterns with dramatic colours. For a fun, bright style, pick small motifs that are open and regularly spaced, such as polka dots. Don't forget the decorative impact of borders.
Wallpaper is NOT old-fashioned. Additionally, the "in" wallpaper is not your mother's wallpaper! Gone are the (for example) flowery prints, roosters, brush strokes and borders. Currently, the are large scale patterns, everything from bold colours to pale neutral tone on tone.
Because there are so many different kinds of wallpaper, it is acceptable to wallpaper the entire room or just an accent wall. Selecting the right pattern, texture, and colour for your wallpaper can ensure that the accent wall or room is not visually overwhelming.